Back to Jinotega from Leon - last full day

Our reporter friend Ashley and her friend Andy departed yesterday so the Americans we are left with are Martin, Eric, and me.  We slept at the beach in a hotel+{restaurant directly on the beach.  Martin and I got permission to hang a hammock outside so we slept one foot from beach sand, outside, and got to hear waves crashing as background to sleep.  Eric slept in the group room/hostel they have there.

We had talked about possibly fishing in the surf because I brought some tackle and a collapsible fishing pole.  I was surprised however when Martin woke me up at 5:17 and said "let's fish".  However I got up and tried it.  You have to understand that on this trip everything is subject to constant change - and do your best with the circumstances.  So, not having a swimsuit I fished in the surf in my sleep shorts.  You can ask Martin what his outfit was ;).  We didn't catch anything but it was fun- I had never fished in the ocean surf before.

Martin and I both got pretty sick for a few hours.  We don't know what was up with Martin but it was the same symptoms as my issue - and you don't want to know anything else... We both took a pill and felt better in a couple hours.  My sickness was quite certainly the Malaria medicine I took the night before.  It is known to cause my symptoms.

When we went to leave, my sandals were gone and I left my tennis shoes in the city of Jinotega to only bring what was necessary to Leon.  So, I was barefoot all day which is pretty common here but weird for me, that said I wouldn't trade the experience as crazy as it sounds.  I even had to go buy us waters and snacks shoeless like that.

But remember the problem with being barefoot is you can easily get the same parasites we are helping cure on this trip with Albenezol.  But it's ok - our team is l taking a dose proactively.

Next stop was the little JCM orphanage in Leon where we had dropped off our kids and moms the afternoon before.  We got to see our kids and play with them as well as the kids who lived there before.

After the visit we headed back to Jinotega

No comments: